Trying A Different PerspectiveI finished up a picture today, one I started several months ago. It is pure whimsy, a challenge I set for myself just because it seemed fun. This is how it turned out:
It is 16 X 16 inches and all wool, with the exception of the building in front and the binding. They are a very thin vinyl fabric that resembles brushed aluminum. The central section is a needlepoint picture which I found at a garage sale last March:
It was dusty and dirty and taped to a piece of mat board, and I paid a dollar for it. I'm not sure what it was about the picture, but it had that strange "hideous but yet somehow appealing" quality to it...and it had potential.
The picture cleaned up nicely, and the dyes didn't run at all, so I was off to a good start. I thought about what I might do with it for quite awhile, eventually deciding on the approach that led to the picture above. Details are painted on the needlepoint section and some texture added to the entire picture with stitching.
Unfortunately, neither the camera nor the scanner are able to reproduce the metallic fabric building accurately. It really looks good in person, and not so good in these reproductions.
I think I managed to preserve the "hideous but somehow appealing" flavor that originally attracted me to the project. I decided to attempt a different perspective with this piece, that is not an effect I am usually striving for! It was an enjoyable challenge and I am quite satisfied with this piece.
¶ 2:22 AM